Selfborder 1: "Giving to the people the importance they need"


Today I was having one chat around Talent Management and said to the people I was talking to that every single member has to be treated as the next President of the whole organisation. This is the only way to ensure that we will have an impact. Think of the values that you want the next President to have and make sure that you will give these values and these characteristics to your people.

Saying these words, not more than 10 minutes after, somewhere between the broken shower I was having I thought about something even more fascinating. It is great if we treat the very single person as the next President, but what does this mean? This mean that we all hide the ability to become the role models of the next President (we reach even higher).

This idea reached to a even greater sequence of thoughts. It means that when we inspire, motivate and grow (or sometimes NOT) - so we cultivate the next President(s). Which means that we all had the chance to affect the source (theoretically or practically) of the decision making process. Something which means that when in an organisation in order to reach the top you have to pass from all the minor levels that creates a more "democratic" process.

Connecting dots I reached to real life... (This is the place where I felt more ashamed of for the world we are building). I thought that most of our politicians are never passing from all the levels of a "let's say" social structure but most of the times wake up on the top of the hill. Politics, nevertheless, are not my kind of field to keep thinking for a long time (how bad? maybe I need to write another border for that) so I said - since I am trying very hard to be characterized as a solution oriented person (very nice subject also) I asked myself; "Easy to blame politicians, but what am I doing -me, myself and I- about this? Am I treating all the people around me as if they were the next Presidents?

The first answer that came to my mind very openly, widely, honestly and completely unbiased was "NO". I felt sad about this, I looked at my mobile phone and directly changed the photo on the "desktop" with the big TM (Talent Management) on my back and but one with background a bus. I felt really a tiny small humankind something engaged or better trapped in a small paper box afraid to look at my world around me. How do I want to be called Talent Manager when I am not seeing all the people around me as the next Presidents? Impact is not finishing after 17.30.

The only thing I could say to myself is to promise that I will try to become better, that it is not time to feel guilty but time to take the step forward, and not plan, but to then next step as if I was originally to be the one to do it.

In order to put aside the scary thoughts that were storming over my head (you are not a TM! You are not a good people developer either! You do not respect the world around you! You don’t know what is an opportunity no matter how much you talk about them etc), I decided to execute the plan I was planning in order to watch the next generation lap top I dream to buy.

Just before 12 steps before the stairs of the metro reaching at Duomo I saw this big Diesel advertisement (that I comment on another post) saying "Be stupid!" with huge letters. I smiled nicely since I had all these positive ideas about this campaign (please read the relevant post to understand what I mean  - find the link here) I smiled. But then I thought, but what if I am really stupid? What if all these people around me are totally, definitely without any exit stupid till death? I focused to all my thoughts of the day like a tape going back, and reached at the moment where I said: "You have to treat all the people around you like they are the next Presidents" and I said I am stupid! I understood that something was missing, and that was me!

"What if I am the next President? What if all of us was the next President and we knew it? How would our lives be? Would we eat the same food? Going to the same school? Wearing the same clothes? Making the same friends? Would we fell in love with the same people? Would we getting drunk the same times? Would we smile more to the people? Would we be happier? Would we manage to be the president we are dreaming of having?"

This black storm over my head started making my curly hair wet again. This was the first smart idea! It is not just the others! We are all the next potential presidents, or at least this is the way to see ourselves. It is not the time to underestimate the President, it is time to be the best.

4 comments:

  1. You Know, i just learnt that I was missing this post... I don't know how and why but I didn't read it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you Like it... It is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, It is awesome is much more then speaking about organizational culture, it also a lot about equality...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Johan Wolfgang von Goethe once said:
    "Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and help them become what they are capable of being."

    ReplyDelete